Leapfrog Hospital Survey results are used to educate consumers and purchasers about the quality and safety of hospitals in their community so that they can choose the best hospital for their care. When patients have the opportunity to choose a hospital in advance of a procedure, such as for maternity care or a high-risk procedure, they are highly encouraged to consult Leapfrog ratings and speak with their doctor about hospitals available to them. But because an emergency could strike at any time, consumers are also encouraged to consult Leapfrog ratings as well as the Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade to educate themselves on the care offered by their local hospitals to be prepared when a hospital is needed.
Hospitals that voluntarily submit their data to the Leapfrog Hospital Survey are to be commended for their commitment to transparency and educating their patients about the quality and safety of the care they provide. Patients should be concerned if they see their local hospital has declined to respond to the Survey and is thereby withholding critical information from their community that is available nowhere else.
In addition to publicly reporting the results of the Leapfrog Hospital Survey on its hospital ratings page, Leapfrog and other entities use the Survey results in several ways:
- To recognize the highest performing hospitals as Leapfrog Top Hospitals
- To help health plans identify high-value care through the Leapfrog Value-Based Purchasing Platform
- To educate consumers on the safety of hospitals in their community with the Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade
- To help employers and purchasers identify the best facilities for their employees' health care needs and work with health plans to design benefits packages that steer employees towards the safest and highest quality hospitals
- To aid employees and health plan members in choosing a hospital by including Leapfrog data on plan websites and materials as well as in transparency tools