Download the 2018 Leapfrog Hospital Survey PDF (version 5, Updated June 15, 2018)
Download the 2018 Leapfrog Hospital Survey Word Doc (version 5, Updated June 15, 2018)
Download the Summary of Changes to the 2018 Survey document here.
The hard copy of the Survey contains important information that you will need to accurately respond to the Survey questions and can be used to collect the information you will need to complete the Online Survey Tool. The questions in the hard copy of the Survey match the Online Survey Tool exactly, so responses can be recorded on the hard copy of the Survey and then entered into the Online Survey Tool. The hard copy of the Survey includes:
- Survey Questions and Endnotes
- Reporting Periods
- Measure Specifications
- Frequently Asked Questions
Any changes to the 2018 Leapfrog Hospital Survey that are published after April 1 will be listed here.
- April 4, 2018 - Updated the measure specifications in Section 2 CPOE to clarify that medication orders for all pediatric patients, including those in a NICU, should be included. Medication orders for newborn patients (i.e. nursery patients) should be excluded.
- April 20, 2018 - Added an additional ICD-10 diagnosis code to Pancreatic Resection for Cancer Measure Specifications: C25.2 Malignant neoplasm of tail of pancreas.
- May 29, 2018 - Added 14 additional ICD-10 procedure codes to Mitral Valve Repair and Replacement Measure Specifications. See page 51 in the hard copy of the Survey for the additional codes.
Other Supporting Materials
The following documents provide critical information that you will need to complete the Leapfrog Hospital Survey. Please review each document carefully before you begin.
Computerized Physician Order Entry (CPOE)
Safe Practices Score (SPS)
Managing Serious Errors
The CPOE Evaluation Tool
Instructions for completing the CPOE Evaluation Tool and Frequently Asked Questions can be found in the table above. Information about how the CPOE Evaluation Tool is used and what it does can be found at Prepare for CPOE Tool. The CPOE Evaluation scoring algorithm and information about the results can be found at Scoring and Results.
Leapfrog Hospital Survey Binder
The Leapfrog Hospital Survey Binder was originally designed for those hospitals that have been selected for Leapfrog’s On-Site Data Verification Program administered by DHG Healthcare. Those hospitals are mailed a binder to collect and organize the information (e.g., reports, documentation, notes, etc.) they used to complete their Leapfrog Hospital Survey AND at the same time, they are preparing for their verification. DHG uses the information in the binder during the scheduled visit to verify a hospital’s Leapfrog Hospital Survey responses.
However, the Leapfrog Hospital Survey Binder document (PDF) is available for use by all hospitals to collect, organize, and record information during the completion of the 2018 Leapfrog Hospital Survey. The document, which is divided up into 10 tabs (or sections), one for each section of the Survey, can be printed and placed in a binder. The information is helpful when completing subsequent year’s Surveys, in staff and leadership transitions, and as a historical record. The use of the binder also acquaints hospitals with the elements of the On-Site Data Verification Program.