Download the 2017 Leapfrog Hospital Survey (PDF, updated June 2, 2017, version 3.3)
Download the 2017 Leapfrog Hospital Survey (Word, updated June 2, 2017, version 3.3)
The hard copy of the survey contains important information that you will need to accurately respond to the survey questions and can be used to collect the information you will need to complete the online survey tool. The questions in the hard copy of the survey match the online survey tool exactly, so responses can be recorded on the hard copy of the survey and then entered into the online survey tool. The hard copy of the survey includes:
- Survey Questions and Endnotes
- Reporting Periods
- Measure Specifications
- Frequently Asked Questions
Change Summary Since Initial Release on April 1, 2017
- Change to Section 3A Hospital and Surgeon Volume issued April 5, 2017: Leapfrog has removed the 24-month annual average reporting time period from Section 3A Hospital and Surgeon Volume as the measure is specified in ICD-10 and ICD-10 coded data are not available for the entire 24 months due to the national transition to ICD-10 going into effect on October 1, 2015. Hospitals will only have the option of reporting on a 12-month count and must use the ICD-10 diagnosis and procedure codes provided by Leapfrog in this section of the survey.
- Change to Section 3A Hospital and Surgeon Volume issued April 5, 2017: Leapfrog has updated the list of ICD-10 diagnosis codes for Occlusion and Stenosis and Cerebral Infarction. We have replaced 165.2 (a “parent” code) with 165.21, 165.22, 165.23, and 165.29.
- Change to Section 3A Hospital and Surgeon Volume issued April 17, 2017: Leapfrog has updated the list of ICD-10 procedure codes for Hip Replacement. We have added several additional codes related to metal synthetic substitutes.
- Change to Section 9A Patient Experience (CAHPS Child Hospital Survey) issued May 5, 2017: Leapfrog has updated the text of Question #24 to match the CAHPS Child Hospital Survey.
- Change to Section 3A Hospital and Surgeon Volume issued May 16, 2017: Leapfrog has clarified that when identifying surgeons who performed each procedure for the purposes of reporting on total surgeon volume, hospitals can voluntarily include those surgeons not present or active for the entire reporting period.
- Change to Section 3A Hospital and Surgeon Volume issued June 2, 2017: Leapfrog has updated the list of ICD-10 procedure codes for Hip Replacement. We have added several additional codes related to capture a broader range of replacement procedures. These new codes are highlighted in blue.
- Change to Section 8A Bar Code Medication Administration June 2, 2017: Leapfrog has clarified that in Question #6 in Section 8A Bar Code Medication Administration, adult and/or pediatric units should be included in the number of medical and/or surgical units.
Looking for a list of changes to the survey content since 2016? Download the Summary of Changes to the 2017 Survey document here.
Other Supporting Materials
The following documents provide critical information that you will need to complete the Leapfrog Hospital Survey. Please review each document carefully before you begin.
Computerized Physician Order Entry (CPOE)
|(updated December 14, 2017)|
Safe Practices Score (SPS)
Managing Serious Errors
The MARQUIS Collaborative (charge)
The CPOE Evaluation Tool
Instructions for completing the CPOE Evaluation Tool and Frequently Asked Questions can be found in the table above. Information about how the CPOE Evaluation Tool is used and what it does can be found at Prepare for CPOE Tool. The CPOE Evaluation scoring algorithm and information about the results can be found at Scoring and Results.
Leapfrog Hospital Survey Binder
The Leapfrog Hospital Survey Binder was originally designed for those hospitals that have been selected for Leapfrog’s On-Site Data Verification Program administered by DHG Healthcare. Those hospitals are mailed a binder to collect and organize the information (e.g., reports, documentation, notes, etc.) they used to complete their Leapfrog Hospital Survey AND at the same time they are preparing for their verification. DHG uses the information in the binder during the scheduled visit to verify a hospital’s Leapfrog Hospital Survey responses.
However, the Leapfrog Hospital Survey Binder document (PDF) is available for use by all hospitals to collect, organize, and record information during the completion of the 2017 Leapfrog Hospital Survey. The document, which is divided up into 10 tabs (or sections), one for each section of the survey, can be printed and placed in a binder. The information is helpful when completing subsequent year’s surveys, in staff and leadership transitions, and as a historical record. The use of the binder also acquaints hospitals with the elements of the On-Site Data Verification Program.