Download the 2016 Leapfrog Hospital Survey (PDF, Change Summary issued August 3, 2016)
Download the 2016 Leapfrog Hospital Survey (Word, Change Summary issued August 3, 2016)
The hard copy of the survey contains important information that you will need to accurately respond to the survey questions and can be used to collect the information you will need to complete the online survey tool. The questions in the hard copy of the survey match the online survey tool exactly, so responses can be recorded on the hard copy of the survey and then entered into the online survey tool. The hard copy of the survey includes:
- Survey Questions and End Notes
- Reporting Periods
- Measure Specifications
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Notices of changes made to the survey or any of the reference information since initial survey release on 4/1/2016
- Change Summary for Section 4 Maternity Care issued May 6, 2016: The sample size for the Maternity Care Process Measures – Newborn Bilirubin Screening Prior to Discharge and DVT Prophylaxis in Women Undergoing Cesarean Section – has been reduced from 60 cases to 45 cases to reflect the change in the reporting period from 12-months in 2015 to 9-months in 2016. This change is reflected on pages 70-71 of the hard copy of the survey. In addition, the sample size for the High-Risk Delivery Process Measure – Antenatal Steroids – has been reduced from 60 cases to 45 cases to reflect the change in the reporting period from 12-months in 2015 to 9-months in 2016. This change is reflected on pages 74-75 of the hard copy of the survey.
- Change Summary for Section 7 Managing Serious Errors issued May 31, 2016: Pediatric hospitals that respond "no" to questions #2 and #4 in Section 7C Other Healthcare-Associated Infections, to indicate they have not measured or reported incidences of MRSA and C.Difficile to the NHSN, will be scored as "Does Not Apply" on these measures.
- Change Summary for Section 9 Readmission for Common Acute Conditions & Procedures issued on August 3, 2016: On July 27, 2016 CMS updated information on Hospital Compare, including the volume and readmission rates for acute myocardial infarction (AMI), heart failure (HF), pneumonia (PN), chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), coronary artery bypass graft (CABG), and total hip/total knee arthroplasty (THA/TKA). On August 3, 2016, Leapfrog updated Section 9B of the online survey tool with this new information which reflects data collected from 07/01/2012 to 06/30/2015. Hospitals are encouraged to log into their surveys to review the updated information in Section 9B. Hospitals do not need to re-affirm or re-submit Section 9. Your hospital’s survey results will be automatically updated to reflect this new information within the first 5 days of September at www.LeapfrogGroup.org/compare-hospitals.
Looking for a list of changes to the survey content since 2015? Download the What's New in 2016 document here.
Other Supporting Materials
The following documents provide critical information that you will need to complete the Leapfrog Hospital Survey. Please review each document carefully before you begin.
Computerized Physician Order Entry (CPOE)
Safe Practices Score (SPS)
Managing Serious Errors
The CPOE Evaluation Tool
Instructions for completing the CPOE Evaluation Tool and Frequently Asked Questions can be found in the table above. Information about how the CPOE Evaluation Tool is used and what it does can be found at Prepare for CPOE Tool. The CPOE Evaluation scoring algorithm and information about the results can be found at Scoring and Results.
Leapfrog Hospital Survey Binder
The Leapfrog Hospital Survey Binder was originally designed for those hospitals that have been selected for Leapfrog’s On-Site Data Verification Program administered by DHG Healthcare. Those hospitals are mailed a binder to collect and organize the information (e.g., reports, documentation, notes, etc.) they used to complete their Leapfrog Hospital Survey AND at the same time they are preparing for their verification. DHG uses the information in the binder during the scheduled visit to verify a hospital’s Leapfrog Hospital Survey responses.
However, the Leapfrog Hospital Survey Binder document (PDF) is available for use by all hospitals to collect, organize, and record information during the completion of the 2016 Leapfrog Hospital Survey. The document, which is divided up into 10 tabs (or sections), one for each section of the survey, can be printed and placed in a binder. The information is helpful when completing subsequent year’s surveys, in staff and leadership transitions, and as a historical record. The use of the binder also acquaints hospitals with the elements of the On-Site Data Verification Program.