WASHINGTON / October 12, 2020 -- The Leapfrog Group, an independent national health care watchdog organization, today announced a new program, the Leapfrog Value-Based Purchasing (VBP) Program for Self-Insured Entities (SIE). The Leapfrog VBP Program for SIE is the first of its kind tailored for employers of any size moving towards value-based health benefits. The program provides nationally benchmarked rankings on hospital safety, quality and value to enable self-insured entities to identify and structure benefits around the highest-value hospitals.
Nationally, the movement toward value-based health care has been driven by large public payors, such as Medicare, as well as larger private sector employers. With today’s launch, employers of any size, as well as their brokers, consultants, and third-party administrations, can generate value for employees and their families. Leapfrog’s new program provides a composite hospital ranking, enabling employers to see instantly how each hospital in their network prevents waste and harm.
Innovative features of the new Leapfrog VBP Program for SIE include:
- Priced for employers of any size to immediately get the value they deserve.
- Ability to quickly and easily identify high performing hospitals and recognize low-value care.
- Exclusively based on an independent, evidence-based, nationally standardized measure set backed by national experts.
- Opportunity to compare hospital scores locally, statewide, or nationally.
- Focus on the quality concerns most important to employers and their employees, like infection rates, medication errors, maternity care, and high-risk surgeries.
- Adaptable, allowing self-insured entities the flexibility to develop their own tiering, networks, steerage, incentives, and employee education.
“Throughout our 20-year history, employers have told Leapfrog that waste and low-value care harm their employees and increase health costs by one-third or more,” said Leah Binder, president & CEO of The Leapfrog Group. “No employer of any size should be forced to suffer that in silence. So we’re proud to support employers ready to take the first step in the journey to value.”
The Leapfrog VBP Program for SIE utilizes data from the annual Leapfrog Hospital Survey. Participating hospitals earn a Value Score based on Leapfrog's independent, standardized metrics of quality and safety. The Value Score can be used by employers and the entities that support them to benchmark performance and inform their health care benefits strategy. Learn more about the new Leapfrog Value-Based Purchasing Program for Self-Insured Entities at www.leapfroggroup.org/VBP-SIE.