The first-ever national recognition program to recognize hospitals providing safe and high-quality health care for people living with diabetes, Recognized Leader in Caring for People Living with Diabetes, will assess applicant hospitals along a comprehensive range of key indicators that assess the full continuum of care in the hospital. The highest-performing hospitals will deliver safe, effective care that empowers patients from admission all the way through following up after discharge.
Structures to Support Patient Centered Care
- Diabetes Self-Management: Facilitating self-management of using insulin pumps and glucose monitors.
- Patient-Reported Concerns: Providing multiple reporting channels for patients to communicate concerns, and implementing a process to ensure those concerns are addressed.
- Rapid Response Teams: Empowering patients and their families to activate a rapid response team who can evaluate the patient and escalate care.
- Hypoglycemia Protocol: Following a specified hypoglycemia protocol to allow rapid treatment in emergency situations.
- Data Collection on Amputations: Collecting data on amputations and/or participating in registries collect data on amputations.
- Preparation for Scheduled Inpatient Surgery: Ensuring that patients with diabetes have appropriate preparation for a scheduled surgery, including a preoperative assessment, medication management, and monitoring during the procedure.
All Hospitalized Patients
- HbA1c Testing: Conducting an HbA1c test on admission for patients with diabetes, unless a recent test has been documented.
- Meals and Insulin Regimen: Ensuring the appropriate administration of insulin based on meals and monitoring carbohydrates.
- Specialized Care Teams and Patient Education: Deploying a specialized team to care for and educate high-risk patients with diabetes.
- Discharge Planning: Implementing a comprehensive discharge process for high-risk patients with diabetes, that includes post-discharge care coordination, medication management, patients education, and more.