Updating or Correcting a Previously Submitted Leapfrog Hospital Survey
Hospitals have the opportunity to update or correct previously submitted Survey responses at any point during the Survey Cycle (April 1 - December 31). Please review the Survey Deadlines webpage. Most updates or corrections are made:
- At the request of Leapfrog:
- Following Leapfrog’s Extensive Monthly Data Verification, the Primary Survey Contact, Secondary Survey Contact, and System Survey Contact will receive an email from the Help Desk detailing potential reporting errors.
- Following On-Site Data Verification:
- Hospitals selected for On-Site Data Verification will receive a findings report at the end of the scheduled visit which will indicate any responses that need to be updated or corrected. Please note that Leapfrog has suspended On-Site Data Verification of 2020 Leapfrog Hospital Survey Results as part of our COVID-19 response. All other verification protocols will continue.
- At the discretion of the hospital:
- To correct a data entry or reporting error
- To reflect a change in status or performance (e.g., closed a unit or stopped performing a procedure or implemented a new policy)
- To provide more current responses based on reporting periods outlined in the hard copy of the Survey
Updating a Survey after Receiving a Help Desk Email or Following On-Site Data Verification
Leapfrog conducts an Extensive Monthly Data Verification of responses submitted to the Leapfrog Hospital Survey starting with Surveys submitted by the August 31 Submission Deadline (updated from June 30, 2020 as part of Leapfrog’s COVID-19 response) and monthly thereafter until the Online Survey Tool is taken offline on January 31. Following the Extensive Monthly Data Verification, the Primary Survey Contact, Secondary Survey Contact, and the System Contact are notified by email of any Survey responses that need to be reviewed and/or updated by the hospital.
If you receive a Data Verification email, you are required to document that your original responses were correct or update/correct your previously submitted Leapfrog Hospital Survey by the end of the month using the original reporting period that was used for that section of the Survey in the original submission. For example, if a hospital submitted a Survey for the first time on August 20, 2020 and then received a Data Verification email at the beginning of September, they would update their responses based on the reporting period used in the August 20, 2020 submission.
Hospitals that receive a Category A Data Verification message at the beginning of the month for any measure will have until the end of that same month to contact the Help Desk to either (1) document that the original response was correct or (2) correct the data entry or reporting error, or they will be publicly reported as “Pending Leapfrog Verification” for that measure. This term is used to indicate that the hospital has self-reported survey responses that are under further review by Leapfrog.
If any Category A Data Verification messages are not resolved by January 31 (when the Online Hospital Survey Tool is taken offline), the entire section in which the flagged responses were included will be decertified and all measures within the section will be publicly reported as “Declined to Respond.”
Hospitals that are selected for On-Site Data Verification will receive a findings report following the scheduled visit. If the findings report details any responses that need to be updated or corrected, please contact the Help Desk. Please note that Leapfrog has suspended On-Site Data Verification of 2020 Leapfrog Hospital Survey Results as part of our COVID-19 response. All other verification protocols will continue.
Making General Updates (for hospitals that have not received a Help Desk email)
Leapfrog offers hospitals multiple reporting periods so that they have the opportunity to report the most current data. With the exception of Section 7B Healthcare-Associated Infections and Section 7C Antibiotic Stewardship Practices, updating a Survey is optional. However, we do recommend that if your performance or if a structure has changed significantly, you update your Survey within 30 days. In addition, hospitals should update their Surveys if they become aware of any reporting errors or data inaccuracies in their previous submission.
Hospitals may update one or more sections of the Survey, without updating the entire Survey.
General updates and corrections can be made at any point during the Survey Cycle (April 1 – December 31). The month of January is reserved for corrections to previously submitted Surveys only. Any updates made to reflect a change in performance must be made prior to the December 31 Late Submission Deadline. Updates made to reflect a change in performance after December 31 will not be scored or publicly reported.
Hospitals that are submitting general updates should:
- Use the stated reporting period at the top of each section selected based on the date of your resubmission.
- Update responses to ALL questions within the section they wish to update using the same reporting period. For example, if a hospital submitted a Survey for the first time in June and then wanted to update the responses for the Early Elective Deliveries questions in subsection 4B in November, they would update the entire Section 4 Maternity Care based on the updated reporting period for November.
For information on Leapfrog’s automatic updates to Section 7B Healthcare-Associated Infections and Section 7C Antibiotic Stewardship Practices, please review the Join NHSN Group webpage.