What price do you pay?
Find out how many lives and dollars are at risk for your company
When mistakes happen in the hospital, employers pay the price in lives and dollars.
Using Leapfrog’s groundbreaking and award-winning Lives and Dollars Lost risk calculator, employers and purchasers can:
- Estimate the number of avoidable deaths among their covered lives
- Identify the hidden surcharge paid for each inpatient admission
- Calculate how much of their total health care spend goes to medical mistakes
Information Needed for Calculator:
- Your total number of inpatient admissions for a calendar year within the U.S.
- Current Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grades for the facilities your employees utilize
- Estimated percent of admissions that require surgery or an ICU stay
- Your estimated annual total expenses for health care coverage
A new study by the Johns Hopkins Armstrong Institute for Patient Safety and Quality found that Leapfrog-graded D and F hospitals carry nearly twice the risk of mortality than A hospitals. Over 50,000 lives could be saved if all hospitals performed at the level of A graded hospitals.
For some employers, the dollars lost to medical errors can represent up to 30% of their overall health care spend. By shifting employees to “A” hospitals through improved benefits plan design, employers can decrease these hidden surcharges and protect their employees and dependents from harm.
The Lives & Dollars Lost Calculator has been awarded a Certificate of Validation Seal, demonstrating our commitment to the highest standards of validity. The Validation Institute’s Certificate of Validation is a seal of approval designed specifically for the health care industry. The Calculator also won a 2019 Health Value Award for Value Transparency Services.
The Lives and Dollars Lost calculator is provided at no cost as a public service from The Leapfrog Group. The calculator is fully transparent, and includes an optional download which houses the full formulas, assumptions and sources behind our calculations.